Over 150 years old, the Church of the Immaculate Conception, with a congregation of over 6,800 individuals, is moving ahead through the 21st century. Many people have come before us, proving the foundations for this wonderful church and its various ministries, but it is our responsibility to ensure its future.

Our rich history includes fifteen dedicated men who accepted the leadership of our parish family as Pastors of Immaculate Conception Church.

  • 1867 – Rev. Otto Kopf and Rev. T. Mullen were instrumental in forming our church before the first resident pastor arrived.
  • 1881 – Rev. Michael Murphy
  • 1889 – Rev. William Graham
  • 1891 – Rev. Joseph McDonnell
  • 1898 – Rev. Thomas McEnrue
  • 1910 – Rev. Edward Murphy
  • 1937 – Rev. Vincent Burke
  • 1943 – Rev. Alphonse Mihm
  • 1953 – Rev. James Hanlon
  • 1958 – Msgr. Francis Mullen
  • 1967 – Msgr. Augustine Marzhauser
  • 1974 – Rev. Leonard Sanesi
  • 1983 –  Msgr. Robert Shuda
  • 1987 – Rev. James Gaston
  • 1992 – Msgr. John Conway
  • 2005 – Rev. John Moineau

The following former bishops have honored us by visiting our church for dedications, the sacrament of Confirmation, and other important events.

  • Bishop Hugh Boyle (Pittsburgh)
  • Bishop Hugh Lamb
  • Bishop William Connare
  • Bishop Anthony Bosco
  • Bishop Lawrence Brandt
  • Bishop Edward Malesic

Timeline

  • 1862 – First Mass celebrated in Coal Hollow
  • 1867 – Cornerstone laid and parish formally established with 175 families
  • 1868 – Church dedicated under the title St. Mary of the Assumption
  • 1871 – Church named Immaculate Conception
  • 1873 – Land purchased for a cemetery
  • 1875 – House & lot purchased for a rectory
  • 1876 – Parish hall built
  • 1878 – Hall converted into Immaculate Conception School
  • 1882 – Sisters of Charity begin parish work
  • 1883 – New rectory built, sacristy added to the church
  • 1884 – Old rectory made into convent School statistics: 3 rooms, 150 students, 8 grades
  • 1891 – Parish grows to 1,000 members
  • 1905 – Ground purchased for a new church
  • 1906-1910 – Immaculate Conception School temporarily closed
  • 1923 – Cornerstone laid at present church building
  • 1924 – Dedication of the new Immaculate Conception Church
  • 1939 – Electric organ installed
  • 1950 – Convent and rectory move across the street to make room for the new school building
  • 1951 – IC joins the new Diocese of Greensburg
  • 1952 – New IC School and Convent Building dedicated
  • 1957 – Formation of St. Agnes Parish
  • 1968 – 100th Anniversary; First Parish Picnic; First Folk Mass
  • 1976 – New Pipe Organ installed
  • 1978 – Formation of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish
  • 1981 – Cemetery enlarged; New Chapel building blessed
  • 1985 – RCIA started
  • 1988 – Convent closes; 1st All Souls Memorial Liturgy; 1st Thanksgiving Eve Liturgy & Social
  • 1990 – Parish Hall closes
  • 1991 – Children’s Liturgy of the Word replaces Saturday religious education
  • 1992 – Queen of Angels Regional Catholic School formed
  • 1993 – 125th Anniversary; Red brick school torn down; Parish had over 2,000 families and three priests
  • 2001 – Church addition completed and dedicated
  • 2004 – Former Norwin East Building purchased for the new home of Queen of Angels School
  • 2005 – Bishop Bosco Center dedicated at Queen of Angels
  • 2006 – Parish office moves into the former school building
  • 2008 – Rectory is torn down; Parish had 2,070 families and one priest
  • 2011 – IC150 Celebration kicks off with a year of events
  • 2013 – Time capsule dedication
  • 2015 – Veteran’s Monument installed in the cemetery
  • 2016 – Parish has 2,486 families and two priests
  • 2018 – Church floor renovated
  • 2019 – First Filipino Mass in the Diocese of Greensburg
  • 2019 – Relic of Saint Bernadette of Soubirous placed in the Altar